Monday, July 14, 2008

I live. I hike. I bike.

Having suffered with plantar fasciitis for the past two years has put a REAL cramp into my exercise schedule. It's actually limited even simple tasks -- walking in to the market to pick up a loaf of bread meant putting my feet on ice as soon as I returned home. Ugh. Of course I had to give up hiking and biking -- two of my favorite activities.

I've done it all. Orthotics. Stretching. Ice. Cortisone shots. Oral steroids. And always more ice.

A year ago I even had shockwave therapy treatments in both feet. The theory is that the treatment brings your foot inflammation back into an acute phase which will (should!) initiate the body's natural healing process. Not so much.

So this past spring I finally switched doctors. The new podiatrist did a very thorough work-up and recommended night splints. I've worn them faithfully EVERY night since I got them on April 21st. Finally. R.E.L.I.E.F.

So I've started riding my bike again. The biking does not hurt my feet. We've done several ride in the last ten days. And why not? Look at the rewards! How could you NOT want to pedal -- even huffing and puffing -- if you knew you could see these views of Jordan Pond? Wow.


I walked a flat trail last week for just over an hour with minimal pain. Hurrah! And yesterday, we did a REAL hike -- up a mountain -- and I made it! Yeah, it wasn't a 4000-footer -- but there was still some scrambling and some fabulous views. Look at THIS!

And one of my MOST favorite views is still my honey . . .

Time to go plan our next hike! See you on the trails!

2 comments:

myohmy said...

You guys look like a million bucks....and so does the view!

mypepsee said...

I'm so glad you can now do the things you love! And the view is just beautiful!....Love, Anne