Sunday, July 13, 2008

May I Show You to Your Seat?

The price of gas -- now 4.19/gallon here in Maine -- is ridiculous. Gives one pause about spending money on just about anything considered "frivolous," like dinner out, concert tickets, even magazines (yeah, I sometimes buy People magazine).

The summer musical concert opportunities in the Down East region are fabulous. It's common to have 4 or 5 concerts, plays, or performances from which to choose on any given day.

Our move date was scheduled to enable me the opportunity for me to sing with the Mount Desert Summer Chorale this year from their very first rehearsal (June 25)-- we're performing a Bach/Beethoven/Brahms program in early August. Brahms' German Requiem is the focus of the concert and it's simply exquisite. Don't quiz me on my German pronunciation quite yet though.

So, yes -- singing IN a concert is quite a bit different from attending a concert. And there are a few concerts coming up in the area that I would really like to attend, but the cost is prohibitive. Lo and behold, at choir rehearsal the other night, we were asked to volunteer to usher at a series of summer concerts in the area. I was the first to volunteer and will usher for four concerts (and enjoy each one for free).

I ushered for a fabulous classical piano concert last night (Christopher Johnson) in Bar Harbor. Tonight is a Pops Concert, next Friday is the opera Carmen (which is the one I desperately wanted to see!), and a string orchestra performance the following Friday.

Score one for me!

2 comments:

myohmy said...

That's wonderful Kathe....what a great way to attend a variety of concerts! Very cool....I am so jealous!

Beth said...

that's great, mom! can you even take the bus into BH (assuming they're in BH) to save the money on gas, too? i hope those buses are still running!