Sunday, January 18, 2009

Snips and Snails and Puppy-dog Tails


I'm in heaven.

Actually, I'm in Corning. Spending time with Mike, Laurelyn, Graham, and Dean.

O.K., mostly with Graham and Dean. I admit it! I'm smitten! Grandmothering is the BEST!

Graham is now three years and three months old. He still loves books --- all the time, over and over. And snuggling with him on the big, cushy couch reading book after book after book is the B.E.S.T.

Yesterday, I had a few errands to do so I took G with me. First we drove to the Post Office. (Back home, Papa and Grandpa were trying to thaw frozen pipes with a hairdryer.) Then I took G out for lunch at a Mexican restaurant---it was a fun place to spend some time together over corn chips, guacamole, rice and beans. Then we went to Walmart and Sears to pick up a few things --- including Candy Land! Graham is the perfect age for the legendary game.


Finally, the public library -- Graham insists on wearing his "library backpack" from the car all the way to the circulation desk. He dutifully takes out each book, one at a time, and proudly slides it into the return slot. Off we head to the children's room where thousands of books await us! Graham is a kid in a candy shop ---- he pulls book after book off the shelf, carefully considering each one. Sometimes, he just looks at the cover; other times, he opens the book and checks out a few pictures. One of the books he slides off the shelf looks familiar; it's one he already has at home. He says, "I have this book. I'll leave this one here for someone else." A glimpse into his tender heart.

Dean, now 10-1/2 months with 5 teeth, continues to be one of the most engaging babies I've ever known! Catch his eye and you're BOUND to get a huge toothy smile and a deep dimple. Melts my heart. Every time. He's just learned to clap his hands and is so pleased with himself! So, that's led to LOTS of Pat-a-Cake, Pat-a-Cake; he LOVES when I roll his arms faster and faster and faster and he giggles until he can barely catch his breath. What a delight!






Graham hit a milestone this week. He can rhyme! Of course, by now, he's probably heard thousands of books, so he certainly was well-primed. We visited the PBS website, Graham on my lap, and played a number of rhyming games including Super Grover in 'The Nick of Time' and Elmo Rhymes. Then we moved on to another game or two that had him matching words with the same beginning sound. His favorite was Oscar's Bumper Cars. Oscar does have quite the attitude and it's not lost a bit on giggling Graham!

Dean's walking more and more, too. His current record is 12 steps. He'll furniture-cruise and then confidently get his balance, flash his toothy grin, and bound across the room, arms outstretched as he staggers toward me. Does he know I'm Grandma? Heck, yeah! I'm pretty sure of it.


We are so blessed to have such beautiful, healthy, loving grandsons. It is such a spectacular treat to watch them be raised so wonderfully and lovingly by our son, Mike, and our daughter-in-law, Laurelyn. They are amazing parents. And we are especially blessed to have so many opportunities to be present in the boys’ lives. The relationship between grandparents and grandchildren? A little piece of heaven.

3 comments:

myohmy said...

Hi Kathe,

What a wonderful entry! I really enjoyed reading about the little men in your life and the fun you are having with them during your visit.
Can't wait to see you!!

Love, Lee

mypepsee said...

Oooooh Kath....you sure ARE blessed!! And the boys are just darling!!

MRS MJW said...

beautiful baby faces.