Wednesday, October 1, 2008

C.R.A.S.H. --- oh, no!

O.K. So I'm a goofball. At least I didn't get hurt.

So, this afternoon I was getting ready to conduct another telephone interview (for my job -- I'm doing some really fascinating national research) and I decided to make myself a cup of tea. So I turned on the burner to heat the teapot and went into my office.

At my computer. Getting my transcript template ready. Name the file. Get my print-out of the interview protocol set on the table. Check for the phone number I need to call.

BOOM!

Teapot. Stove. Wrong. Burner. No whistle. Pyrex. Casserole. Exploded.

I jump out of my chair and run to the kitchen. Holy. Hot. Glass. E.V.E.R.Y.W.H.E.R.E.

Just that moment, literally about 2 seconds after the explosion, the phone rang. It was my boss. I didn't get to even think about cleaning up until after my 4 PM phone interview. And all the while, I could hear the crinkling of cooling hot glass. Yikes.

After the interview, I tiptoed into the kitchen and started scoping out my clean-up task. Whew. When I say it was EVERYWHERE, I really mean it!

On the stove, on the burners, in the burners.
Under the stove.
Between the stove and the counter.
INSIDE the stove (that was the weirdest! Can you figure out how it got there?).
On the dining room floor.
Under the edges of every kitchen cabinet.
Behind the pie safe.

I grabbed the broom and started sweeping. Or should I say, I tried to sweep up the broken glass. It wouldn't move -- the glass had melted into the floor and onto the counter.

And so I kicked the bigger pieces with the toe of my shoe. After repeated attempts, I was able to loosen some of it. Eventually, I had a pretty big pile of glass. Actually, two piles.

And I vacuumed up the shards of glass that I could see.

Later, as I started pulling myself together to make dinner, I found glass in some new, unexpected places.

In the downstairs bathroom! (the prize for the farthest!)

Inside the stacked mixing bowls on the rolling cart (the funniest)

Jeesh. I really liked that casserole dish, too.

I'm going to be finding teeny tiny bits of glass for days. . . no bare feet here.

And I'm thinking we're going to need to think about a new kitchen floor. Sooner than later.
Hmmm. . .

Note to self: NO more "air drying" of anything on the stovetop. Check, double-check, triple-check that you're turning on the RIGHT burner. Jeesh.

2 comments:

myohmy said...

Wow Kathe.....you are lucky you were in the other room....you could have been maimed.
Could this be develped as a new kind of mouse killer?
If you had grapes in that bowl...would it have qualified as grapeshot?? :)

Is this a little like an "imbed" in the military?? :)

What a story!! Glad you are ok!!

mypepsee said...

.....I'm REALLY glad you're alright!! You actually found glass *IN* the stove!!? Wow!!!8^o